Thursday, August 2, 2012

Enter the 21st Century, England, and get some A/C


Wednesday arrived much sooner than anticipated, for I was up at 7 a.m. to do my laundry. Still fighting a cold that I got in Scotland after spending the entire morning in the rain (see Blog: Storming the Castle), I started the day rather sluggishly. However, a nice breakfast of croissants and bread got me ready to kick off the last day of classes. It was hot. So hot out. Hotter than it had been all month. And England doesn’t have air conditioning because it normally doesn’t get into the 80s. But it did on Tuesday and Wednesday. And boy did we feel the heat.

Our last class took us back to the British Library, but this time it was for a tour of the conservation studio. I have to post for this in my school blog, so I won’t get into it here but will link the page when I get that all written up and posted.

Then we were free!! No more classes! So Melissa and I headed down to the Globe for my third and final Shakespeare performance of the trip. We saw Richard III, which I’ve never read but I really enjoyed. Two really famous actors were in it, Mark Rycliffe and Barty Crouch Sr. (I don’t remember his real name so he will forever be called Barty Crouch Sr. It was very well done. Not as depressing as it is normally portrayed, for Richard made it more satirical. We got standing room near the stage and were able to lean on the stage during the performance. It also kept us out of the sun, which was really strong that day.

After the play ended, we headed back to the dorm for a quick shower and change before heading over to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Pub. It was the first pub rebuilt after the Great Fire in 1666. It is also where Samuel Johnson used to go to hang out and work on writing the dictionary. Twas a really cool bar with lots of windy stairs. They had Samuel Smiths Extra Stout on tap!!! But ALL of the taps were broken. So I had to deal with just having a Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. It was just fine but I've had it in America and was dismayed that I couldn't have something new. Next time!

After dinner, we went to the fire garden again! No fire dancing this time, but we laid on these weird orange hammocks/octagonal boats/nests. They were comfortable for awhile until my butt fell asleep. Then it was uncomfortable. We just hung out for a bit and then went back cause we was tired. And that was the end of Wednesday. Only two days left! Cheers!

- Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment