Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Changing Landscape of London (aka, my rant about the Olympics)

(Author's Note: Sorry for being gone so long. I'm finally back in the United States and I have several of these to load and then finish off my trip. Here is a short piece to tide you over. Be warned: I wrote it at 5 a.m. in the Heathrow Airport.)


When we left London the Sunday before (July 15), it was still a rather calm city. There were Olympic paraphernalia all over the place but nothing to ostentatious. The city was still relatively quiet, as all of the travelers were mainly locals getting to and from work.

Fast forward a week and it all changed. First, the amount of people in the city grew greatly. There were a lot more languages being spoken as Olympic attendees arrived to the city. Moreover, the school year had come to a close in England and everyone was starting their summer holiday. This meant increased foot traffic, busier tube stations, and just an overall heightened sense of apprehension as the Olympic Games inched ever closer. And it also meant a lot of people wandering the city, meandering and thus causing us and the locals annoyance as we tried to get to our destinations on time. The makeup of the city changed as well, as the one-eyed Cyclops mascots popped up all over the city. Images and facts were pasted on the sidewalks. The number of police in and around tube stations increased greatly.

Overall, this change was hard for me to deal with. I remembered a London without these visitors. I remembered a London that I had become comfortable with in the two weeks I had been there. I wasn’t ready to handle the sheer number of people and felt some sort of kinship with the locals who were dreading these Olympic Games. Now I love the Olympics and I’ve always wanted to go to one. I hope to do so one day but I will plan on going when it’s not in a major city. So don’t think for a second that I don’t enjoy the Olympic Games because I do and I love watching the American athletes compete for our country.

This is something else and I think it’s something that only happens when the Olympics are in a major metropolitan area. While we are leaving before things got really insane, some Londoners had to stay in the city to work. Others had already planned their two-week vacation during this time, removing themselves from the city before it got really bad. This might be disheartening to some people, for they believe that the locals should stay to root on their athletes. However, I commiserate with these people, understanding that their lives are going to be uprooted for three weeks. The tube stations will be overrun with people, thus affecting the daily commute of thousands of people. Can you imagine if New York City had the Olympics? Can you imagine how many more people would be in that city? There are too many already and having the Olympics there would upset a rather delicate balance.

Moreover, the Olympics have actually hurt the tourist industry in Britain. You may think I’m crazy saying that, for there are thousands of spectators in the city for the games. But think about this: For most of Europe, August and a few weeks in September are the weeks to go on holiday. This is the most popular month for people to travel to England and thus the tourists business does great during this period. However, because of the Olympics, people are staying away from London. They are traveling other places and staying out of the craziness that is London. They do not want to get involved with the people or the traffic. It’s not a very carefree place to be right now. Thus, museums and sites will probably take a hit this month. All of the tourists in the city are there for the games and not to visit the wonderful sites in London. I know for a fact that my cab driver to the airport said his company was hurting for business.

I love London. It’s one of my favorite cities in the world. It’s easy to navigate and easy to learn. Everyone speaks English and I never felt out of place in the city. I could fit in very easily and could be very comfortable here (if I had air conditioning). But I am very glad to be leaving before the Olympics really get started. It’s had a major impact on the city and it won’t be back to normal for several weeks. I hope that anyone who travels to London for the Olympics comes back in the future to see what it really is like without all of these changes. It’s an amazing place and it deserves to be shown for what it is: a city rich in history, vibrant in culture, and on the cutting edge of technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment