Thursday, July 1, 2010

Alaska, the Final Frontier

We are here! It has been a long day. A very long day. And here now is a recap:

We landed in Seattle around 10:45 PST. I was able to sleep a bit despite my rather rotund seat mate. My parents had enjoyable seat mates. Except for the 40-year-old man sitting next to my mom who was watching Bewitched on his laptop. Yes, I know what you are wondering, how did he get that on dvd? I'm not sure but he is one lucky man.

We got off the plane and needed food. We went to Wolfgang Puck - the first restaurant we saw. Got some sandwiches. Then we decided to head to the gate for the next flight. This is where the fun begins.

I will preface this tale with a short story. When I got off the plane, I went to look at the board to see where the next plane was. It said terminal N8. So, after lunch, we went to terminal N8. We had to go down two flights of stairs and then take a tram to the terminal. We get there and my father goes to check the board again. He informs us that the gate we should be at is actually D9. And D9 is all the way back where we had lunch.....so we walked all the way back, this time up two flights of stairs. We definitely worked off lunch.

We got on the plane to Fairbanks at around 130. It was another uneventful flight. We all sat next to each other so there weren't any random travelers to poke fun at. I did end up passing out at some point...a moment that my mother froze in time.


I'm attractive when I sleep.

We landed in Fairbanks at 430 AST - Alaskan Standard Time. That is the time we will be using from now on. We met Jackie and Tim at the airport, got our luggage, and headed to their duplex. We got a full tour of the place - pictures to come later - and it is fantastic. They have really made themselves a nice little home here in the woods.

Jackie went food shopping while the Aras clan went to the Transfer Station - a fancy Alaskan name for a trash depot. Then we went to get fishing licenses - well Mom and Dad got them. I had not been informed that I needed to bring my license or a photo id so I didn't. Nevertheless, we went back later to get my license and fill up on gas. Dinner was Halibut caught last weekend. It will most likely be Halibut for the next week and that is completely fine with us.

At this point in time, it is 930 AST. This means it is 130 EST. I have been awake for 21 hours. I should be dead tired but I'm not. Probably because of the cocaine....

Anyways, this will be the last post until tomorrow night. We are driving to Anchorage tomorrow. 9 hours in a car with my four favorite people in the world! Can't wait! Til then....but wait, here is a taste of what is to come. Get excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment