Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Eye of the Storm

The trip has been relatively relaxing since leaving Seward. After hand-cranking the trailer leaves in, we headed out of Portage on July 5th by 10 a.m. Shortly thereafter we stopped at the greatest rest stop ever. It had cheap gas, good coffee, a fantastic bakery with enormous treats and nice bathrooms. If you are ever on the Seward Highway, check out the stop by the Aleyska Highway - I recommend it.

After that it was a straight shot back to Fairbanks. On a side note, we discovered that if you drive through Wasilla at the correct time with the correct sunlight hitting the correct spot in town, you can see Russia. I could've sworn I saw Putin waving as we headed back home.) We arrived home by 6 p.m., unloaded the trailer and moved back in. Made some banging Seafood Chowder and drank some wine.

I was finally persuaded to shave. I was feeling my European roots during the trip so I decided to forgo shaving. (This isn't entirely true. The lack of shower water and length of showers aided the situation) It had reached a rather drastic point when I returned to Fairbanks. Still, I flaunted my prickliness by walking around with shorts on - I think all members of the house kept a 10 foot radius around me. After dinner, I took a shower, much to my dismay. I think I had blunted the razor after finishing my right leg. Not sure it has ever been that bad.

Anyways, today we relaxed and got caught up on some laundry. Took a shopping tour of Fairbanks and then I went to some mountain biking trails with Tim and Jackie. We made Halibut Charmoula, a Moroccan marinade made with cilantro, and had margaritas on the side. Then we had a rousing game of Scattegories where Jackie won albeit certain discrepancies.

I'm going to try to post a blog of some awesome pictures taken tomorrow. Look for it!

2 comments:

  1. TMI LADY....TMI....i'm continuing to comment all over this shit

    ReplyDelete
  2. please, don't act like you didn't enjoy my hairy legs

    ReplyDelete