Friday, January 7, 2011

A Man You Don't Meet Everyday

As of right now, Alaska is warmer than expected. It's as if I really never left home, expect for the darkness aspect, but we shall get to that later. Now on to flight stories...

I arrived and boarded the plane at Reagan National on Wednesday night. To my surprise, the plane was not full and I had the entire row to myself! Amazing!

That lasted for about a minute. The row across from me was full and the people were rather squished. So I graciously took the window seat while a man moved across the aisle. There goes my chance at laying down and sleeping the entire flight :(

It wasn't an entire loss, though, since I met a most interesting man. I don't know his name but let's give him one. He seemed like a Charles. Or Chuck. Definitely Chuck.

So Chuck strikes up a conversation with me, but Chuck really only wants to talk about himself. So I refrain from really telling him anything and decide to listen. Chuck was
born and raised in New York and can trace his family back to the 1600s. He was a commercial fisherman and a New York City Firefighter. He fought in 'Nam. He has two prosthetic hips. At this point, I knew I had found myself a winner. But it got better.

This man was a big game hunter. Oh yes, big game hunter. Chuck kills lions, and water buffalo and hyenas, etc. He has hunted all around the world. He regaled me with stories of his hunting in Africa and New Zealand. Of his trips to Zimbabwe and Tanzania and Zanzibar. It was all very exciting. I know almost his life story. I know all about his four children (three daughters and one son), I know where they work and how unbelievably smart they are. (No really, true computer science geniuses here).

Alas, our flight came to a end. We landed in Seattle at 830 and I boarded the plane bound for Fairbanks at 9. Finally left at 10 and slept most of that flight. The plane was full and had the entire Western Michigan hockey team. mmmmm, undergrad douchebags boys. Nothing like them.

Landed around 1230 in Fairbanks and it was about 4 degrees. Really not too cold for that late hour. Tim picked me up at the airport and I was greeted with a coat of new fallen snow. It was lovely.

After sleeping 8 hours, I awoke at 9 am to darkness. I had no idea of the time at first and after looking at my watch, was surprised that it was 9 am. So yes, it really is dark all the time. The sun finally rose around 10 but it was an overcast day since it was snowing. I read and watched HGTV, my newest addiction. After a day of laziness, Tim and Jackie came home from work, we had dinner and began packing for the trip.

Now it is Friday and we will be leaving in a short while. Chili is made. Most of the stuff is packed for the trip. We are headed to Tolovana. Enjoy the link. Activities include snow shoeing, cross-country skiing, snow machining, and hot springing. And the Aurora is supposed to be very strong tonight and tomorrow. Pictures will follow.

I will return on Sunday and hope to post a blog when I return. Till then, keep my extremities in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment