Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To The Great White North....And Beyond?

Well, as promised, here is another blog post. Two posts in two days?!?! You must all be flabbergasted indeed. I am as well. Alas, I thought I should post, especially since this one actually has to do with travel and is not just full of my rambling, semi-connected thoughts. Well, disregard that rambling statement. I cannot help but ramble. That being said, here goes another attempt at blogging about my travels....

I am flying to Alaska tomorrow. I can only imagine the thoughts and looks. Here are some adjectives that might reflect your thoughts: dismay, shock, annoyance, jealousy, awe, apathy, etc. Maybe some are scoffing at my idiocy. Indeed, I might be just a bit crazy. (No, I know I am crazy. But I'm cool with it). I checked the weather, for the hundredth time, and the average low temperature seems to be around -14. Average high in the single digits. And snow is on the way. I really should stop checking the weather. Who am I kidding? It's not like it's going to miraculously get warm. In some recess of my mind, I am praying that my plane will land in Tahiti instead of Fairbanks tomorrow....well not entirely. But maybe the plane back will take a detour to the South Pacific.....mmmmm, Pina Coladas

Okay, minor tangent. So yes I am flying to Alaska tomorrow. Why, you ask? Well, I wanted to truly feel what is it like to be in Alaska in the winter. I've been there in July and August and now I will be able to boast that I have been there in the winter. And not only visited but really went into the wilderness. Once I've roughed it in Alaska, I can do anything. Alaska tomorrow, Mt. Everest in a year. Right? And I also want to experience the Northern Lights. And snowmobile (or snowmachine). I've never done that! And who really likes sunlight anyways? I'm so over daylight. Maybe I'll become a vampire this weekend. The True Blood kind, obvi, not one of those Twilight vampires.

More rambling. My apologies. I fly out of DC tomorrow night and will arrive in Fairbanks around midnight. Tim and Jackie, three of their friends and I will head out to Northwest Alaska to go to a Hot Springs! We are driving about 100 miles and then snowmobiling to a cabin in the wilderness. We will stay until Sunday and then head back to Fairbanks. I leave Alaska on Monday night and, baring any frostbite or discovery of my future husband, I will return to DC on Tuesday.

I am all packed. Most of my Christmas gifts from Tim and Jackie revolved around this trip. I am stocked full of cold weather gear and hope to stay warm all weekend. I have my camera and will take many pictures, and hopefully post them sometime on Monday.

So wish me luck! (and keep my extremities in your prayers). I would be much obliged. See you all on the flipside :)

4 comments:

  1. Have a great trip and please be sure to get pics of you getting into the hot springs and what happens to your hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand Alaska is the place to go to meet your future husband.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why can't I post under my name? <3 Lindsey

    ReplyDelete