Friday, January 14, 2011

A Very Long Day

My trip ended much like it began. Jackie and Tim went back to work on Monday and I did nothing. I went to bed at 730 on Sunday and slept for about 12 hours. Then I finished a book, watched Two Weeks Notice and packed. We had dinner and a very nice Mexican restaurant where I watched Tim and Daniel eat the biggest burrito I have ever seen. It was gruesome and awesome at the same time. I still have nightmares. However, we got fried ice cream out of it and that was excellent.

With the ease of the flight to Alaska, I should have been prepared for a bit of annoyance on my return trip. Alas, I did not and was peeved to have to deal with some delays in Alaska. My flight out of Fairbanks was due to leave at 1020 but did not get off the ground until after midnight. The plane, originated in Fairbanks and was headed to Barrow, Alaska, where the oil fields are located. It could not land because of fog and had to return to Fairbanks. So, we had to wait for that to land, for people to disembark and then board ourselves. This delay, while shortening my layover in Anchorage, made it impossible for me to see Will Doyle. :( A sad affair indeed.

Despite that delay, I was able to make all of my flights with no other issues. There was an open seat next to me on the flight to Seattle from Anchorage and I was able to stretch out a bit. The girl on the aisle wanted to lay down on the seat but I was not allowing that. Tired Kate gets angry. So we shared it. I tried to sleep and got maybe an hour all together but it was an hour of something you might call sleep.

I ate breakfast in the Seattle Airport. Seriously amazing breakfast at Anthony's. Then I had a Viennese mocha from Dilettante Chocolates & Mocha Cafe. Unreal. I could live in that airport.

Tried to sleep on the flights but it was bright outside and I could not. Got about two hours in three flights. That did not bode well for the rest of my day.

Landed at Reagan National around 5. It took awhile for me to get my bags and was greeted by really crappy weather. I boarded the metro during rush hour and finally got back home by 6. Showering was the first thing I did when I got home. Showering in that "oil" they like to pretend is water was not fun. Then it was on to the copious loads of laundry.

So my short jaunt to Alaska came to an end. (Alas, no husbands of which to report. Maybe if I had gone to Salt Lake City....) I will leave you now, for a short while, and hope to return with some stories of my travails in Washington D.C. when my parents come to town this weekend. Til then.

No comments:

Post a Comment