Monday, July 2, 2012

I'm Not in Shape for All of This Walking


It’s been awhile since I’ve updated but life has been non-stop since I arrived and with all of the activities I’ve been doing, I haven’t found time to blog. However, I have a free morning and will now regale you with some stories from my first weekend in London. I don’t have the time or space to tell you everything but you will get a taste of what it is like to be in this awesome city.

Museum of London: On Saturday, I went on a tour with several students outside of my class. We got a tour of the City of London. Now the City of London is a very small section of London. Its boundaries are defined by the walls built by the Romans in the 3rd century C.E. I had a major nerd moment the entire afternoon because I just wrote a paper on Roman London aka Londinium and I was able to see what I wrote about as well as help our guide with the tour (politely). We stopped into the Museum of London for a short period of time, and that is seriously one of the best museums I’ve been to in a while. If you’re ever in London, please see this museum. It’s free and it has so many cool exhibits. It could take anywhere from 2-4 hours to walk through. We only saw a short part of it on Saturday so three of us went back on Sunday to see the rest of the museum.

Shakespeare: I’ve also already seen a play at the Globe Theatre and that was truly amazing. Two friends from the library science program, Melissa and Shannon, joined me for Henry V. We stood in the groundling section for three hours but it was absolutely amazing. We could have purchased actual seats but they were much more expensive and 5 pounds to watch Henry V is a serious deal. Again, if you’re in London, totally check it out.

Beer: Now I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by the beer. I have yet to find a bar that has a dark beer, and have been left to drink semi-crappy lagers. And the one Guinness I got was poured badly :( I hope to rectify this in the near future and I’m sure you will hear more about it. The food has been fine. Nothing spectacular, although I did have a Wild Boar burger and that was quite good.

Church: I went to a church service at St. Paul’s Cathedral on Sunday morning and that was also really cool. They had an orchestra and a choir, both of whom were amazing. The church is stunning and if you go for the service, you don’t have to pay to get in to see the church. So I would recommend sitting through the 1.5 hour service if you’re ever in town.

Class: We start classes today and our classes consist of going on site visits. It’s going to be really awesome and I know we will see some really interesting items. Today’s visit will be to St. Paul’s Cathedral Library. I will have another blog going for my course because I don’t want to mix it up. I will link it here for you all to read. http://proofinpages.blogspot.co.uk/

As you can tell, it’s been a very busy two days. The weather was great the past two days but it is much rainier today. My legs have been in serious pain for the past two days but when you're walking at least 5 miles or more a day, it's to be expected. I will be adding photos to my posts, hopefully later this evening. I’m enjoying every second of this trip and can’t wait to continue to tell you all about it.

-         - Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment